Watch: Learn to draw by observation with Jake Spicer
In this free video tutorial, artist Jake Spicer shows you how to make a drawing from observation, without looking back at the page.
Suitable for beginners and experienced drawers.
All you need to get started is pencil and paper, and something to draw!
Continue onto Jake's full 'Learn how to draw' online course, for 13 further videos to take you from novice to pro, and boost your drawing confidence.
What you'll need:
- Graphite pencils - Jake recommends an HB pencil, "not too hard and not too soft", for getting started.
- Paper - ideally white cartridge paper.
- Something to draw - Jake draws a pot of pencils and a bunch of bananas in our tutorials so you really can draw anything around your home !
Watch: Learn to draw by observation
Next: Progress onto Jake's full 'Learn how to draw' course and purchase a kit of drawing materials.
For just £4.99, you'll get 45 minutes of video and additional downloadable material teaching you:
- Blind contouring and continuous line drawing
- How to understand and draw negative spaces
- Working with tonal scale
- Hatching and cross-hatching
- How to create subtractive tonal drawings
- How to bring all the exercises together to create a linear and tonal drawing
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to access your course whenever you need it.
Learn how to draw course + kit: Get all materials you need delivered
- Seawhite Portrait Sketch Book 140gsm 92 Pages A4 (RRP: £6.50)
- Derwent Soft Sketching Pencil Tin Set of 12 (RRP: £16.69)
- Derwent Manual Twin Sharpener with Reservoir (RRP: £3.15)
- Staedtler PVC Free Eraser Medium (RRP: £0.85)
Get the Learn how to draw course + kit for just £24.99 including FREE standard shipping to the UK (worldwide postage charges apply).