Do something good for the planet whilst making a stylish cushion for your home with our limited edition denim offcuts kit, which includes a charitable donation.
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Make and cut your own basic pattern
- Make an informed choice on fabrics
- Use a variety of stitching on a sewing machine
- Understand how to seam and hem a cushion cover
- Apply the proper techniques to add an appliqué patch
- Create your very own custom-made cushion cover with quality denim fabric from Hiut Denim
Follow Barley’s step-by-step photographic instructions along with informative videos and detailed images, taking the guesswork out of learning.
For the price of a mass-produced design, you can create a custom, high quality cushion which gives new life to offcuts from the fashion industry. Our exclusive kit provides you with organic denim which is timeless in style, meaning your cushion will look right at home on any soft seat or bed.
Plus, 20% of each kit + course purchased will be donated to the labour behind the label charity, campaigning for garment workers' rights worldwide.
What's in the kit?
The kit comes with:
- A large piece of high-quality 12 oz organic denim fabric from Hiut Denim, approx 100cm x 50cm
- Canvas tote bag from Hiut Denim
About Hiut Denim Co.
The fabric provided for this kit is a 12 oz organic denim, which Hiut Denim source from the ISKO mill in Turkey.
Hiut Denim Co. say, "We are thrilled to be able to collaborate with Yodomo and give some of our organic fabric offcuts a new lease of life."
Meet your instructor, Barley Massey
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
More about this cushion cover course and kit
How is the course taught?This course is taught through step by step photography, available to access online via My Courses.
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
Instructions on how to to redeem your online course will be provided inside the kit.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
Can I gift this course and kit?
Yes, all the information your giftee needs is included in the kit.
Is this course suitable for beginners?To make this cushion cover you’ll need to know how to use a sewing machine. If you’re feeling a bit rusty then head to our Learn how to use a sewing machine course.
- What You'll Learn
- Meet Barley Massey (Video: 0:56)
- What you'll need
- Step 1: Measure your fabric
- Step 2: Hem the edges
- Step 3: Adding appliqué (Video: 6:17)
- Step 4: Assemble the cushion cover
- Step 5: Iron and turn the cushion through
- The finished cushion
What do I need for this course?
What you’ll need:
- Fabric (approx 100cm x 40cm to make a 40cm square cushion, as included in this kit)
PLUS, YOU’LL NEED THESE COMMON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS:
- 40cm square cushion pad
- Extra fabric for appliqué decoration (optional)
- Sewing Machine
- Threads (NB. you may want to match the colour of your thread to the fabric or choose a contrasting colour)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Tape Measure
- Tailor’s Chalk (or ordinary chalk)
- Fabric Scissors
- Embroidery Scissors (optional)
- Old Fashioned wooden knitting needle (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
Join the Yodomo Makes Facebook group, where you can post any queries or questions you have, and an instructor, Yodomo team member or member of our community will be there to support you.
Barley set up Fabrications in 2000 on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. Her focus has been on reviving traditional textile techniques, eco-design and upcycling. Fabrications is a mini department store of creativity and design, selling Barley's own creations, homewares, fashion and accessories. They supply all the tools and supplies to fuel other crafters and offer classes in sewing, textiles and crafts.