Learn to draw the fun and easy way, with expert step-by-step tuition, and everything you need delivered to your door.
You can purchase a Learn how to draw kit, or a Learn how to draw Luxe kit along with this course.
Learn how to draw with artist Jake Spicer. Suitable for all ages and abilities, this video course will teach you fundamental drawing techniques and how to let go of your inhibitions, so you can put pencil to paper with confidence.
With unlimited access 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace, and refer back to it anytime. By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Create continuous line drawings
- Blind contour
- Understand and draw negative spaces
- Work with tonal scale
- Use hatching and cross hatching
- Create subtractive tonal drawings
- Bring all the exercises together to create a linear and tonal drawing
Through 45 minutes of video tutorials and practical exercises, Jake makes it fun and easy for both adults and kids to learn how to draw at home.
This course is ideal for beginners, and for anyone looking to improve their skills or increase their confidence and only costs £4.99 for unlimited access. Why not try our free course taster: Learn how to draw by observation, to help you decide if this is the right course for you.
Watch the course trailer
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
About this online drawing course
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
You will receive an email up to 15 minutes after purchase with details on how to access your course, and if you are a first-time user, how to set up your account. Your courses will then be available to access 24/7 on any device, simply by going to My Courses at Yodomo.co and logging into your account.
How is the course taught?
Yodomo courses are taught by select instructors, who are experts in their field. Each course breaks down complex craft skills into easy-to-follow step by step guides, which combine video, photography and downloadable PDFs.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
Is this course suitable for beginners?This course is perfect for those who have no idea how to start drawing as well as those who wish to brush up on their skills. Artist Jake Spicer believes that everyone can learn to draw, and he’ll show you just how easy it is to break down that barrier with this step-by-step video guide. You’ll learn techniques such including blind contouring, understanding negative space, and tonal scale, lending you all the skills you need in order to pursue your artistic journey.
- Meet Jake Spicer (Video: 1:26)
- Course Outline - Downloadable PDF
- Glossary of Terms - Downloadable PDF
- Step 1 - Your Materials (Video: 2:06)
- Step 2 - Blind Contour (Video: 4:09)
- Step 3 - Continuous Line (Video: 4:34)
- Step 4 - Negative Space (Video: 4:34)
- Step 5 - A Simple Line Drawing (Video: 4:56)
- Step 6 - Tonal Scale (Video 4:14)
- Step 7 - Hatching & Cross-hatching (Video: 5:24)
- Step 8 - Subtractive Tonal Drawing (Video: 6:12)
- Step 9 - Line & Tone (Video: 10:05)
What do I need for this course?
What you’ll need:
- Graphite pencils (ideally a range of different pencil grades)
- Eraser, plastic with a sharp edge
- Sharpener (to maintain your pencil at the sharpness you prefer)
- Paper (ideally white cartridge paper)
- Optional Drawing board (to secure paper onto)
- Optional Bulldog clip (to secure your paper to the board)
Yodomo online courses - supporting you at every step
Join the Yodomo Makes Facebook group, where you can post any queries or questions you have, and an instructor, Yodomo team member or member of our community will be there to support you.
The beginner drawing techniques are well explained and the short format (5-10 mins) works nicely for the screen. Basic materials needed, nothing fancy or expensive. I'd love to see more drawing classes on Yodomo.
It is a good idea to spend some quality time with this course or any other course from Yodomo. I like their idea about how to “spread”manual skills.... I for example didn’t know that I have the gift of drawing and I’m looking forward to spend my Christmas to develop my creativity. Very easy to understand the lessons and I love that I can do it at my own step and I can always return to the lessons and do it again. Well done Yodomo
Perfect for me as a beginner
Very good value for money.
Jake Spicer is a painter and drawing tutor based in Brighton, UK where he is head tutor of the drawing organisation 'Draw'. Jake's teaching focuses on making drawing accessible to everybody. He writes instructional drawing books for Ilex Press which aim to help people engage more with drawing, whatever their level of ability.