Become a master basket maker in just a few hours with this simple weaving technique.
Learn to make a woven basket with Julia Clarke, a sculptor specialising in natural materials including cane and willow.
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace, and refer back to it anytime. By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Make a rice mould
- Prepare the cane for weaving
- Create 3-dimensional form using a 'three-way weave' technique
- Finish your basket professionally
- Make 'random weave' baskets of any shape and size
Through easy-to-follow instructions, photographs and short videos, experienced basketmaker Julia will guide you through each step of her simple yet effective 'random weave' technique.
In just a few hours, you will complete the course with a finished basket to decorate your home, and with a new skill that you can use time and time again.
What's in the kit?
The kit includes all the specialist cane you need to make a small to medium sized basket, delivered directly to your door:
- 8 pieces of approx. 1 - 1.5 metre sections of 5mm glossy lapping cane
- Yodomo tote bag
UK postage costs £3, worldwide postal charges apply.
How difficult is this course?
This course is suitable for complete basket making beginners, and also for those with experience of weaving or working three dimensionally who would like to learn a new technique, or brush up their skills.
Watch the course trailer
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
You will receive an email up to 15 minutes after purchase with details on how to access your course, and if you are a first-time user, how to set up your account. Your courses will then be available to access 24/7 on any device, simply by going to My Courses at Yodomo.co and logging into your account.
How is the course taught?
Yodomo courses are taught by select instructors, who are experts in their field. Each course breaks down complex craft skills into easy-to-follow step by step guides, which combine video, photography and downloadable PDFs.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
- Meet Julia Clarke (Video: 1:00)
- What you'll learn
- What you'll need
- Step 1. Choose the shape
- Step 2: Make a mould
- Step 3: Seal the bag and form the shape
- Step 4: Draw the opening
- Step 5: Soak the cane
- Step 6: Start weaving
- Step 7: Bring in the 3 way weave
- Step 8: Keep the cane damp and trim the cane
- Step 9: Continue to weave
- Step 10: Removing the mould
- Step 11: Finished piece
What do I need for this course?
You will need:
- L8-10 pieces of 2-5mm narrow flat band glossy lapping cane (included in this dedicated course kit)
You will also need these common household items:
- Rice (any type, a sized medium bag. You’ll need around 500-700g for the form we are making)
- Small- medium food storage plastic bag
- Clear sticky tape
- Cling film
- Permanent marker
- Bowl or sink
- Masking tape
Is this course suitable for beginners?
Yodomo online courses - supporting you at every step
Julia Clarke works with willow, both dried and living, with wire, steel, paper, and ceramic to create sculptures for indoor and outdoor spaces. Natural materials and environmental concerns are an important element of her work and the rhythm of weaving and using tactile materials are important to her process.