Learn Moyozashi Sashiko, a type of Japanese stitching that creates beautiful patterns whilst reinforcing fabrics.
Translated as "little stabs", Sashiko has a long history in Japan, used both for decorative purposes and to reinforce textiles in order to give clothes longevity. In Moyozashi sashiko the stitches must never touch and the grace of the patterns comes from the evenness of the stitches and the gaps between them.
Learn the fundamentals of this craft with maker Rob Jones and create your own reinforced tote bags with Sashiko designs.
What's in the kit?
This kit comes with everything you need to get started right away and includes:
- 20m skein Sashiko thread in a choice of Red, Black or Light Green
- Sashiko needle
- coloured air or water-soluble pen for marking up your pattern
- sheet of sandpaper
- white cotton tote bag
- three Sashiko patterns in Fundo “Scale weights”, Yabane “Arrow feather” and Rob’s own design “Divided circles"
- one Sashiko pattern created exclusively for Yodomo
- PDF of starter instructions included in the kit