Do something good for the planet whilst making a stylish cushion for your home with our limited edition denim offcuts kit, which includes a charitable donation. Only 19 available!
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Make and cut your own basic pattern
- Make an informed choice on fabrics
- Use a variety of stitching on a sewing machine
- Understand how to seam and hem a cushion cover
- Apply the proper techniques to add an appliqué patch
- Create your very own custom-made cushion cover with quality denim fabric from Hiut Denim
Follow Barley’s step-by-step instructions along with informative videos and detailed images, taking the guesswork out of learning.
For the price of a mass-produced design, you can create a custom, high quality cushion which gives new life to offcuts from the fashion industry. Our exclusive kit provides you with organic denim which is timeless in style, meaning your cushion will look right at home on any soft seat or bed.
Plus, 20% of each kit + course purchased will be donated to the labour behind the label charity, campaigning for garment workers' rights worldwide.
What's in the kit?
The kit comes with:
- A large piece of high-quality 12 oz organic denim fabric from Hiut Denim, approx 100cm x 50cm
- Canvas tote bag from Hiut Denim
This kit comes with FREE standard shipping to the UK (worldwide postage charges apply).
Huit Denim Co. is an ethical jeans brand based in Cardigan, Wales; founded by Clare and David Hieatt after a local jeans factory closed, to preserve the livelihoods and craft skills of the town's residents.
The fabric provided for this kit is a 12 oz organic denim, which Hiut Denim source from the ISKO mill in Turkey.
Hiut Denim Co. say, "We are thrilled to be able to collaborate with Yodomo and give some of our organic fabric offcuts a new lease of life."
Meet your instructor, Barley Massey
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
You will receive an email up to 15 minutes after purchase with details on how to access your course, and if you are a first-time user, how to set up your account. Your courses will then be available to access 24/7 on any device, simply by going to My Courses at Yodomo.co and logging into your account.
How do I receive my kit?
Your kit will arrive by post 2-5 working days after purchase, fulfilled by Royal Mail. You will receive an email notification when your kit has been dispatched.
How is the course taught?
Yodomo courses are taught by select instructors, who are experts in their field. Each course breaks down complex craft skills into easy-to-follow step by step guides, which combine video, photography and downloadable PDFs.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
- What You'll Learn
- Meet Barley Massey (Video: 0:56)
- What you'll need
- Step 1: Measure your fabric
- Step 2: Hem the edges
- Step 3: Adding appliqué (Video: 6:17)
- Step 4: Assemble the cushion cover
- Step 5: Iron and turn the cushion through
- The finished cushion
What do I need for this course?
YOUR COURSE KIT, WHICH INCLUDES:
- Fabric (approx 100cm x 40cm to make a 40cm square cushion)
PLUS, YOU’LL NEED:
- 40cm square cushion pad
- Extra fabric for appliqué decoration (optional)
- Sewing Machine
- Threads (NB. you may want to match the colour of your thread to the fabric or choose a contrasting colour)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Tape Measure
- Tailor’s Chalk (or ordinary chalk)
- Fabric Scissors
- Embroidery Scissors (optional)
- Old Fashioned wooden knitting needle (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
Yodomo online courses - supporting you at every step
If you don't enjoy your course for any reason, let us know and we'll give you your money back.
Join the Yodomo Makes Facebook group, where you can post any queries or questions you have, and an instructor, Yodomo team member or member of our community will be there to support you.
New to sewing?
To make this cushion cover you’ll need to know how to use a sewing machine. If you’re feeling a bit rusty then head to our Learn how to use a sewing machine course.
Barley says, "I'm really excited to share the sewing skills I love with more people and bring a little bit of the Fabrications experience to you. I know how much joy sewing has brought to me. Learning to sew is the start of an adventure once you get into it."
Barley set up Fabrications in 2000 on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. Her focus has been on reviving traditional textile techniques, eco-design and upcycling. Fabrications is a mini department store of creativity and design, selling Barley's own creations, homewares, fashion and accessories. They supply all the tools and supplies to fuel other crafters and offer classes in sewing, textiles and crafts.