Sewing is an invaluable skill that you’ll use over and over again in so many projects, from making your clothes to creating gifts for loved ones.
Learn at your own pace with Barley Massey, expert seamstress from Fabrications shop and studio in East London.
Follow Barley’s step-by-step instructions in 14 detailed videos, taking the guesswork out of learning.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand all the different parts and features of your sewing machine
- Wind a bobbin up and thread a sewing machine
- Feed fabric through the machine, sewing different stitches
- Understand how to hem and seam fabric
- Apply a pocket and appliqué patch to fabric
You’ll also learn basic machine maintenance and how to solve common problems.
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace.
Designed for those who have little or no experience of using a sewing machine, or those looking to refresh lapsed sewing skills, you'll soon develop the confidence to progress onto making simple creations of your own.
Barley says, "I'm really excited to share the sewing skills I love with more people and bring a little bit of the Fabrications experience to you. I know how much joy sewing has brought to me. Learning to sew is the start of an adventure once you get into it."
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
You will receive an email up to 15 minutes after purchase with details on how to access your course, and if you are a first-time user, how to set up your account. Your courses will then be available to access 24/7 on any device, simply by going to My Courses at Yodomo.co and logging into your account.
How are Yodomo courses taught?
Yodomo courses are taught by select instructors, who are experts in their field. Each course breaks down complex craft skills into easy-to-follow step by step guides, which combine video, photography and downloadable PDFs.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
What will I learn and what do I need?
- What you'll learn
- Meet Barley Massey (0:56)
- What you'll need
- What you'll need (2:07)
- Step 1: TTour of the sewing machine (1:46)
- Step 2: Winding the bobbin(3:55)
- Step 3: Explaining different fabrics (1:42)
- Step 4: Threading up (4:17)
- Step 5: Getting started on the machine (3:54)
- Step 6: Stitch functions (1:40)
- Step 7: Seams (9:59)
- Step 8: Appliqué (6:17)
- Step 9: Patch pockets (2:26)
- Step 10: Hems (3:02)
- Step 11: Machine maintenance (3:46)
- Step 12: Troubleshooting (5:17)
What do I need for this course?
Materials:What you'll need to get started:
- Sewing machine, including bobbins and spare needles
- Medium-weight cotton fabric to practise on
- Thread e.g. Gütermann, Swann etc
- Fabric scissors
- Pencil & pen (optional)
- Small embroidery scissors (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Old fashioned knitting needle (optional)
Is this course suitable for beginners?
Yodomo online courses - supporting you at every step
If you don't enjoy your course for any reason, let us know and we'll give you your money back.
Join the Yodomo Makes Facebook group, where you can post any queries or questions you have, and an instructor, Yodomo team member or member of our community will be there to support you.
Barley set up Fabrications in 2000 on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. Her focus has been on reviving traditional textile techniques, eco-design and upcycling. Fabrications is a mini department store of creativity and design, selling Barley's own creations, homewares, fashion and accessories. They supply all the tools and supplies to fuel other crafters and offer classes in sewing, textiles and crafts.