You'll learn how to make a tote-style bag in our easy to follow step-by-step tutorials featuring Barley Massey of Fabrications, Broadway Market, East London.
You’ll do basic pattern making and cutting, choosing fabrics, using different types of stitching on a sewing machine and bringing all of the different elements together to create a double-layered tote bag.
To make this bag you’ll need to know how to use a sewing machine.
How is this stitching course taught?
What do I need?
Materials and tools:
- Medium weight non-stretch cotton fabric (2 pieces of fabric 100cm x 40cm for the bag. 2 pieces of fabric 70cm x 10cm for the straps)
- Sewing Machine
- Thread (you may want to match or contrast the colour of your thread to the fabric)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Tape Measure
- Ruler (optional)
- Tailor’s Chalk (or ordinary chalk)
- Fabric Scissors
- Embroidery Scissors (optional)
- Old Fashioned wooden Knitting Needle (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
How do I gift this course?
Barley set up Fabrications in 2000 on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. Her focus has been on reviving traditional textile techniques, eco-design and upcycling. Fabrications is a mini department store of creativity and design, selling Barley's own creations, homewares, fashion and accessories. They supply all the tools and supplies to fuel other crafters and offer classes in sewing, textiles and crafts.