Learn how to make an artisanal notebook, concertina binding and pamphlet binding, using basic bookbinding techniques and tools.
Try basic bookbinding skills and gain the confidence to continue making beautifully bound books and notebooks from home. You'll be introduced to some bookbinding tools as well as basic bookbinding techniques.
This kit includes materials and accompanies an online course where you learn how to make:
A single section, quarter-bound cloth notebook, the perfect keepsake for storing your own thoughts or for gifting to the writer in your life.
A concertina book, this versatile structure resembles a concertina, an instrument similar to an accordion. It is a stitchless, folded binding that can be creatively adapted to a large range of projects.
A pamphlet binding, this book uses a single section and is bound along the spine with a running stitch. The cover and pages are sewn at once. It is a smart binding, perfect as small notebooks or for showcasing your work.
You will receive a kit (pictured) that allows you to create six books, two books of each structure (finished books pictured), and get introduced to specialist bookbinding tools as well as some basic book-binding techniques.
* Please note that some items may differ slightly from images shown, dependent on available suppliers.
What's in the kit?
- 1 x Bone folder
- 1 x Awl
- 1 x Paste brush
- 1 x Pot of bookbinders glue
- 1 x Sewing template
- 1 x Size 18 needle
- 1 x Thread
- 16 x Sheets of text paper - Single section, quarter binding
- 4 x Boards - Single section, quarter binding
- 4 x Endpapers - Single Section, quarter binding
- 2 x Spine linings - Single Section, quarter binding
- 2 x Spine cloths - Single Section, quarter binding
- 4 x Cover cloths - Single Section, quarter binding
- 1 x Spine gauge - Single Section, quarter binding
- 1 x 8 cm ruler - Single Section, quarter binding
- 1 x Nipping gauge - Single Section, quarter binding
- 4 x Blotting paper - Single Section, quarter binding
- 4 x Silicone release Paper - Single Section, quarter binding
Two pamphlets - size 15 x 11cm
- 12 x Sheets of text paper - Pamphlet binding
- 2 x Coloured card cover - Pamphlet Binding
Two concertina books - size 14.5 x 8cm
- 2 x Sheets of paper - Concertina Binding
- 4 x Boards - Concertina Binding
- 4 x Cover cloths - Concertina Binding
- 4 x Blotting paper - Concertina Binding
- 4 x Silicone release Paper - Concertina Binding
How this course is taught?
What else do I need?
- An apron
- A bin near by to throw away gluey waste paper immediately
- Waste paper - can be newspaper
- A cutting mat or some flat surface you are not concern with getting marked or dirty
- Boards or some heavy books larger than the notebooks for pressing over night