Do something good for the planet whilst making a stylish cushion for your home with our limited edition denim offcuts kit, which includes a charitable donation.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Make and cut your own basic pattern
- Make an informed choice on fabrics
- Use a variety of stitching on a sewing machine
- Understand how to seam and hem a cushion cover
- Apply the proper techniques to add an appliqué patch
- Create your very own custom-made cushion cover with quality denim fabric from Hiut Denim
This course requires basic knowledge of using a sewing machine. If you're not familiar with using sewing machines yet, or if you need a refresher, sign up to Barley's course to learn how to use a sewing machine.
Follow Barley’s step-by-step photographic instructions along with informative videos and detailed images, taking the guesswork out of learning.
Create a custom, high-quality cushion cover which gives new life to offcuts from the fashion industry. Our exclusive kit provides you with organic denim which is timeless in style, meaning your cushion will look right at home on any soft seat or bed.
Plus, 20% of each kit + course purchased will be donated to the labour behind the label charity, campaigning for garment workers' rights worldwide.
What's in the kit?
The kit comes with:
- A large piece of high-quality 12 oz organic denim fabric from Hiut Denim, approx 100cm x 50cm
- Canvas tote bag from Hiut Denim
Learn more about Hiut Denim Co. →
The fabric provided for this kit is a 12 oz organic denim, which Hiut Denim source from the ISKO mill in Turkey.
Hiut Denim Co. say, "We are thrilled to be able to collaborate with Yodomo and give some of our organic fabric offcuts a new lease of life."
Meet your instructor, Barley Massey
How is this sewing course is taught?
This course contains videos that feature verbal instructions. We’re working to add closed captions for each of our videos and we hope to complete this soon. In the meantime, a transcript for the videos in this course is available upon request. Please let us know if you require this in the notes section at checkout.
What else do I need?
You’ll need basic sewing tools, which you’ll be able to source from most craft shops or specialty stores. Contact us for advice if you’re unsure of where to find these items or post in our support Facebook Group.
What you'll need to get started:
- Sewing machine, including bobbins and spare needles
- Medium-weight cotton fabric to practise on
- Thread e.g. Gütermann, Swann etc
- Fabric scissors
- Pencil & pen (optional)
- Small embroidery scissors (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Old fashioned knitting needle (optional)