In this online course, you will learn how to repurpose waste plastic bottle lids into stunning pieces of colourful, statement jewellery.
This course is fun as well as good for the environment - the perfect activity to accompany a beach clean!
Jeweller and teacher Bronwen Gwillim will guide you through all the steps required to turn trash into treasure. You will learn how to identify different types of plastic, how to safely melt them to create colourful components and how to use wire to make fittings and findings.
By the end, you will have made a pair of earrings, a brooch, a necklace and a bracelet and gained all the skills and inspiration to collect more plastic and take your ideas further.
How this course is taught?
What will I need?
- Domestic iron
- Baking parchment
- Flat wooden board (such as a chopping board)
- Heavy book
- Pen and ruler
- Long nose pliers with wire cutter
- Waste plastic bottle lids in a range of colours
- Steel wire (0.8mm-1mm)*
- Sterling silver wire (0.8mm)*
- Round nosed jewellers pliers (not essential)*
- Fine needle file and/or fine emery paper*
- Bradawl or drill with small drill bit (1mm - 2mm)*
*these items can be purchased online from www.cooksongold.com.