Make a stylish cushion for your home with our limited edition organic and fairtrade Offset Warehouse fabric and step-by-step course with Barley Massey.
10% of each fabric + course purchased will be donated to the labour behind the label charity, campaigning for garment workers' rights worldwide.
Learn how to make an envelope-style cushion cover with Fairtrade cotton fabric from Offset Warehouse and Barley Massey of Fabrications studio and shop.
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Make and cut your own basic pattern
- Make an informed choice on fabrics
- Use a variety of stitching on a sewing machine
- Understand how to seam and hem a cushion cover
- Apply the proper techniques to add an appliqué patch
- Have your very own custom-made cushion cover with quality cotton fabric from Offset Warehouse
Follow Barley’s step-by-step instructions along with informative videos and detailed images, taking the guesswork out of learning.
For the same price of a shop-bought design, you can create your own bespoke cushion from ethically sourced fabric. Our exclusive kit provides you with a colourful block-printed cotton fabric - meaning your cushion will inject a pop of personality into any space.
What's in the kit?
The kit provides a matt cotton handmade fabric sourced by Offset Warehouse, enough to make one cushion:
- A large piece of high-quality Fairtrade cotton fabric from Offset Warehouse, 165gsm, approx 100cm x 50cm
- Yodomo tote bag
About Offset Warehouse
Offset Warehouse brings together textiles from around the globe that are ethical and sustainable, or both. Their fabrics benefit the people that make them, the people that use them, and are as least harming as possible to the planet at both origin and end of life.
Founded by Charlie Bradley Ross, Offset Warehouse's collection of carefully sourced textiles mean that everyone, from dressmakers to interior professionals, can trust that the fabrics the use are ethically produced.
Offset Warehouse say, "Yodomo's cushion kits are the perfect introduction to sewing, and using ethically sourced and sustainable fabrics from us means that your hobby is beneficial to the makers, and better for the planet."
Meet your instructor, Barley Massey
Making Made Easy with Yodomo
How do I learn with Yodomo online courses?
You will receive an email up to 15 minutes after purchase with details on how to access your course, and if you are a first-time user, how to set up your account. Your courses will then be available to access 24/7 on any device, simply by going to My Courses at Yodomo.co and logging into your account.
How is the course taught?
Yodomo courses are taught by select instructors, who are experts in their field. Each course breaks down complex craft skills into easy-to-follow step by step guides, which combine video, photography and downloadable PDFs.
You can learn anytime, anywhere, on any device with Yodomo, simply by going to My Courses and logging into your account.
- What You'll Learn
- Meet Barley Massey (Video: 0:56)
- What you'll need
- Step 1: Measure your fabric
- Step 2: Hem the edges
- Step 3: Adding appliqué (Video: 6:17)
- Step 4: Assemble the cushion cover
- Step 5: Iron and turn the cushion through
- The finished cushion
What do I need for this course?
What you’ll need:
- Fabric (approx 100cm x 40cm to make a 40cm square cushion, as included in this kit)
PLUS, YOU’LL NEED THESE COMMON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS:
- 40cm square cushion pad
- Extra fabric for appliqué decoration (optional)
- Sewing Machine
- Threads (NB. you may want to match the colour of your thread to the fabric or choose a contrasting colour)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Tape Measure
- Tailor’s Chalk (or ordinary chalk)
- Fabric Scissors
- Embroidery Scissors (optional)
- Old Fashioned wooden knitting needle (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
Is this course suitable for beginners?
If you don't enjoy your course for any reason, let us know and we'll give you your money back.
Join the Yodomo Makes Facebook group, where you can post any queries or questions you have, and an instructor, Yodomo team member or member of our community will be there to support you.
Barley says, "I'm really excited to share the sewing skills I love with more people and bring a little bit of the Fabrications experience to you. I know how much joy sewing has brought to me. Learning to sew is the start of an adventure once you get into it."
Barley set up Fabrications in 2000 on Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. Her focus has been on reviving traditional textile techniques, eco-design and upcycling. Fabrications is a mini department store of creativity and design, selling Barley's own creations, homewares, fashion and accessories. They supply all the tools and supplies to fuel other crafters and offer classes in sewing, textiles and crafts.