Watch: How to thread up a sewing machine with Barley Massey
Learn how to quickly and confidently thread up a sewing machine with Barley Massey, founder of East London shop and studio Fabrications.
Progress onto the full ‘Learn how to use a sewing machine’ course for further video guides, explaining all the key features of the machine, common troubleshooting tips and easy techniques to get you started.
What you'll need:
- Sewing machine, including bobbins and spare needles
- Thread e.g. Gütermann, Swann etc
- Fabric scissors
Watch: Learn to thread up a sewing machine
Next: Progress onto Barley's full 'Learn how to use a sewing machine' course
Follow Barley’s step-by-step instructions in 14 detailed videos, taking the guesswork out of learning.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand all the different parts and features of your sewing machine
- Wind a bobbin up and thread a sewing machine
- Feed fabric through the machine, sewing different stitches
- Understand how to hem and seam fabric
- Apply a pocket and appliqué patch to fabric
You’ll also learn basic machine maintenance and how to solve common problems.
With UNLIMITED ACCESS 24/7, you’ll be able to drop in and out of the course at your own pace.
Designed for those who have little or no experience of using a sewing machine, or those looking to refresh lapsed sewing skills, you'll soon develop the confidence to progress onto making simple creations of your own.
Barley says, "I'm really excited to share the sewing skills I love with more people and bring a little bit of the Fabrications experience to you. I know how much joy sewing has brought to me. Learning to sew is the start of an adventure once you get into it."