This kit provides you with the tools and materials to help you start creating pieces of Japanese paper marbling.The art of floating ink on water to make beautiful designs can be traced back to the 12th century. Its origins are a mystery; some sources believe it came from China, possibly discovered by some unknown calligrapher as they dipped their inky brush into water. It is also said to have been a type of divination game at the Imperial Japanese court.
This form of paper marbling is simple and you don’t need artistic skill or training to achieve some lovely patterns. It can also be quite meditative, making for an absorbing craft for any age. The resulting decorated papers can be used for many different projects such as bookbinding or origami.
What's in the kit?
- 2 x Japanese calligraphy brushes
- 2 x ceramic ink bowls
- 2 x driftwood brush rests
- Bottle of black, Japanese calligraphy ink (sumi)
- 1 large sheet of washi (Japanese paper) and 4 pieces of western paper (printing paper).
- Paper straw
- Hand stitched booklet of notes to help get you creating
How this course is taught?
What else do I need?
- Book or board to press the paper under.
- A trough. Any waterproof container will do – a plastic storage box, a baking tray or a (new!) cat litter tray - it needn’t be expensive.
- A washing line or piece of string and pegs to hang your papers to dry. Alternatively, a clothes horse to drape the wet paper over to dry
- Liquid soap – washing up liquid for example.
- A lidded jam jar.
- Apron or old clothes
- Cocktail stick
- A hair!
Got it for my mother in law for Christmas, she was absolutely thrilled by the careful attention to detail in the kit. The resulting prints produced were really beautiful as well.
The kit was beautifully put together, had everything I needed to get started, with a really helpful clear instruction booklet.
Never tried suminagashi before, but once I started I didn’t want to stop! 😄 lots of fun.
Thank you for a fantastic kit.
This was a gift for my sister and came beautifully packaged. Looking forward to seeing the results